Monday, February 22, 2010

How Do You Take Care of a Dinosaur?

[When I assign creative writing stories to my students, I often write one myself.]
[The prompt:] When dad came home from his trip to South America, he brought me a large, yellow, spotted egg that he bought from a street vendor. The vendor told him it was a very special egg. I couldn't wait for it to hatch. Was I ever surprised when it did! I turned to my dad and said, "I might be mistaken, but that sure looks like a dinosaur!" How do you take care of a dinosaur?
[My story:] At first, when the dinosaur was small, I was able to keep it in my bedroom. It would curl up in my dog's old bed and sleep most of the day. The library book I borrowed and the three horns on its head told me it was a triceratops. I knew it would outgrow my room very quickly. It was eating lettuce and grass as fast as we could provide it. Each night, I had to sneak it outside for a walk.
The day soon came when its horns brushed the sides of the bedroom door as we went out for our walk. On that day, it moved into a large shed that my dad had built in the backyard. I took the old dog bed out so it wouldn't feel lonely. By now the dinosaur was eating twice as much as it had before. We had to arrange with a local landscaping company to collect their cuttings just to keep up with its appetite. Often it would amble out of the yard at night. We had several complaints from our neighbours about mutilated hedges.
Finally, my dad called the zoo. They were astonished but sent someone out immediately to have a look at my dinosaur. The man gaped and stared and spluttered but eventually managed to ask where it had come from. My dad and I told him the story of the street vendor and the egg. I told him how I'd cared for it since it had hatched. The man from the zoo said he'd see what he could do for us.
Fortunately, the man was able to help us. The zoo had a large empty enclosure, and my dinosaur went to live there. We sent the old dog bed with it so it wouldn't forget us. The enclosure is large enough for my dinosaur to wander at will, and there are many tasty hedges for it to munch. The zoo veterinarian tells me my dinosaur is a boy. I go every Saturday to visit him, and I do think he remembers me.

No comments: